Monday, January 25, 2010

A walk through the village of Ostředek

My parents have a house in Ostředek, and one of my favorite pastimes in the winter is strolling around.  It's so very peaceful and I love hearing the various village sounds...dogs barking, birds singing, children playing, someone cutting wood for their fireplace (or perhaps their old-style kitchen stove).  The scents are wonderful too... wood burning, someone baking a delectable pie or bread, and the fresh air....it's just so wonderfully crisp!  We're pretty lucky because in some villages you can be overwhelmed by the smell of coal buring.  There's a little bit of that in the air in Ostředek too, but I happen to like it because it's a familiar scent of village life.

This is our beloved Čert, who always joined me on my stroll.  He loved catching snowballs and visiting all of the local dogs.  I'd always stop at the village grocer and buy him a parek (Czech hot dog) and he'd sit  just outside the door staring in...patiently waiting.  He was a best friend and will be in our hearts forever.
We miss you, Čert


The village of Ostředek










No comments:

Post a Comment