Friday, February 5, 2010

Everything's better with dill!

Dill, My Love!

Last night I made cucumber salad (not quite as good as my mom and dad make), but not bad either.  Since I was making it for myself, I decided to add dill.  Lots and lots of dill.  But you see, I love dill!  I can't get enough of dill really.  Because of my adoration for dill, I thought I'd share a very popular Czech recipe with you for Koprava Omacka (dill gravy).  It's divine with a side of beef over boiled potatoes or Czech dumplings (which I am still trying to perfect), but goes very well with salmon too.  Enjoy!


1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
2 Tbs. of butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cups of cold chicken stock
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 Tbs. of flour
2 Tbs. of vinegar (or lemon juice)
salt, pepper, sugar to taste

Melt butter on a pan and add chopped onion; cook until bubbly and onion has a translucent look to it.  While stirring, gradually add flour and stir for about 30 seconds more until butter stops bubbling. Remove from heat.

While stirring, gradually add chicken stock and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add in fresh dill and vinegar.  Add sugar and salt to taste.  Simmer for 5 more minutes.

Dobrou chuť.  In other words, bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment