The house of the Three Violins stands at the lower end of Nerudova Street in Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter). In the 2nd half of the 17th century, it was purchased by the widow of a violin maker, Barbara Ottova, who willed it to her son-in-law, violin-maker Leonard Pradter. The next owner of the house was Pradter's former apprentice, Tomás Edlinger. Tomás and his son Jáchym Jan Edlinger brought the violin-making trade to great prosperity; their violins, lutes and mandolins were a household word in Bohemia and across central Europe. And it was the Edlinger family that, sometime around 1700, commissioned the beautiful insignia of three tiny violins, to commemorate the three generations of master violin-makers who had lived there. According to legend, the ghosts of the Lesser Quarter sometimes play upon them under a full moon. None can say, however, if they play in tune or not.
The Three Violins